Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A beautiful day in the neighborhood



So, I'm thinking of moving. I'm tired of the commute to work and church (two places where I seem to spend the bulk of my hours), and though I love my little apartment with it's open floor plan, breakfast bar and built-in desk, I don't love it's location.

But this is the joy of apartment living--when your lease is up (which mine is later this spring) you can choose to stay where you are, or embark on a new adventure elsewhere.

The pain and suffering of packing and actually moving is only a momentary trial, right?

The most exciting part is that I think I'll actually move to a "community"...sure, I'm in a community now (and really, community is what you make of it), but the areas I'm looking at seem to have a demographic that matches my own: young, smart, hip, etc. (Actually, maybe they'll rub off on me!)  Unlike many of my friends and colleagues, I don't need to live in a neighborhood suited for kids, families and dogs--that's not me. I don't need to live in a neighborhood suited to senior citizens--not me (yet!). I need to live someplace vibrant with life, someplace that will force me out of my comfort zone (in front of the TV or behind a book), someplace where people engage in living life together.

Don't get me wrong:
Apartment living isn't for everyone.
Apartment living in an urban, downtown environment isn't for everyone.

But I'm excited--I love old things and downtown has a lot of historic properties with unique architectural details (the photo above is from a property at 6th Ave & Roosevelt). Plus, there's a post office and coffee shops within walking distance--what more does a girl need?



No comments: